- Apr. 3, 2020 – Coquitlam has cancelled all registered recreation programs until June 30 and delayed registration amid the COVID-19 health crisis, while providing online activities and continuing to plan for the summer.
The decision to extend the registered program cancellation until June 30 was based on factors such a desire to provide registrants with some certainty, the logistics involved in planning and cancelling programs, and the potential continued requirement for physical distancing.
June events and rentals at City parks and facilities have not yet been cancelled, however.
The next round of program registration, scheduled to begin Apr. 8, has been delayed indefinitely while staff adapt the City’s July and August programming to meet public health requirements while providing opportunities for residents to connect, be active and enjoy leisure activities.
Updates will be provided as the situation changes.
Automatic Refunds Provided
Those registered for a program in May will receive an automatic refund via an account credit within four weeks. After the refunds are processed, two options will be available:
· Do nothing and leave the credit on the account to be applied to future registrations; or
· Request to have the credit paid out by cheque by either calling 604-927-4386 or emailing PRCS_Info@coquitlam.ca (include a mailing address). Cheque refunds may take up to four weeks.
Free Activities Offered Online
To help Coquitlam residents stay well in mind and body, the City has developed a suite of free online fitness and family activities. New content and videos will be added regularly.
· Fitness instructional videos, written workout plans and tips are available at http://www.coquitlam.ca/fitness. Subscribers to the City’s YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/CityofCoquitlam) are alerted of new videos.
· Simple fun and educational activities for children and families are available at http://www.coquitlam.ca/onlinerec.
Suggestions for new online recreation resources are accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event, Program and Facility Status
The following is in effect as of Apr. 2, but may change at any time based on health directives:
· City facilities remain closed to the public at this time.
· Facility bookings are being accepted for after June 1.
· Large events planned for June or later in City parks and facilities have not been cancelled.
· The City continues to plan popular annual summertime events such as Neighbourhood Nights, Canada Day, Summer Concert Series and Kaleidoscope.
The City will reach out to community event organizers if further cancellations are required. Organizers are also advised to monitor the latest Provincial Health Officer limits on gathering sizes. Cancellation fees related to COVID-19 are being waived.
BUS TRIP ADVICE
Arrive 15 minutes prior to departure. The bus will not wait for any late-comers.
• Return times are approximate.
• Dress appropriately for the weather and trip.
• When you register, inform the front desk if you need to bring a wheelchair or a walker. We require a minimum two week notification to arrange wheelchair transportation.
• The walker/wheelchair must be very compact and portable. If an attendant is required, this person must register as a participant and pay full fare as bus trip volunteers cannot assist with lifting or pushing wheelchairs.
• Trips are non-transferable. If you are unable to make the trip, please notify the front desk to confirm alternative arrangements.
• Please take note of Glen Pine Extended Parking requirements.
• For trips to the USA:
» Bring your valid travel documentation (passport, enhanced drivers licence).
» It is your responsibility to buy extra medical insurance.
» Be aware that laws prohibit some merchandise from being brought back across the border.
NOTE: Bus trip pick up spots are at Dogwood and Glen Pine (Spirit Square on Burlington Drive across from City Hall, meet in the Hub when Glen Pine is open). These are the only designated stops or pick ups. Prices include school bus transportation unless otherwise stated.
REFUND POLICY: Full refund shall be issued if the request is made five days in advance of the bus trip.
No refund under five days. If a bus trip is full, place your name on the wait list. There is a strong possibility that another bus can be booked or another day planned. For theatre performances, we try our best to have you sit with whom you wish but there is no guarantee. We do our best to make the trip accessible and accommodate participation.
Visit coquitlam.ca/enews to subscribe to the Bus Trips email list, with updates on new trips and related information.